Performing Arts Network Japan is a Website dedicated to disseminating information about the stimulating and highly diverse Japanese performing arts scene. And, with an eye to the international performing arts scene, each month we will also introduce presenters who are presently active on the international stage.
The Japan Foundation has previously published English language introductions to drama and dance artists in Theater Japan (1989 and 1993), and an organized survey of the genres of contemporary theater, contemporary dance, butoh, contemporary music, and popular music, in Performing Arts Now in Japan (1995). We also presented the most up-to-date information on the Japan Performing Arts Net Website during 1997-2003 to provide a view of trends in Japanese performing arts.
We sincerely hope that these efforts and this brand new project of Performing Arts Network Japan will contribute to the promotion of international exchange in the performing arts.
Published by the Japan Foundation
Edited by Institute for The Arts
Editor in chief: Eiko Tsuboike
Design: Kazuhiko Inoue
English translation: Robert Reed
About “Modern Drama Briefs 100”
The “Japanese Drama Database” on this website is based on the "Modern Drama Briefs 100" project produced in association with the Japan Playwrights Association and the Japan Foundation.
Production: Japan Playwrights Association, the Japan Foundation
Supported by the Agency for Cultural Affairs, Government of Japan (2003)
Selection Committee: Minoru Betsuyaku, Yoshio Ozasa, Ren Saito
Editor of the English Translation: Mari Boyd
Japanese Editor: Ryoko Kawabata
Collaborators: Tetsu Arai, Akiko Asai, Maki Ito, Yukako Ito, Makoto Katsura,Hiromi Ohashi, Masaaki Okuno, Roba Shimori, Miyuki Tanase
Translators: Farah Ali, Mari Boyd, Gavin Fryer, Daniel Gallimore, Yukiko Ito, Shoko Iwata, John D. Swain
This month’s front page photographs: Kazutaro Nakamura ✕ Ukon Onoe “Art Kabuki” (C) ART KABUKI Project
The Japan Foundation is an organization for international cultural exchange and it carries out a broad variety of cultural-exchange programs with personnel exchanges as their basic premise, ranging from such academic pursuits as Japanese studies and Japanese-language education to the arts, publication, audio-visual media sports and general life culture.
- The Japan Foundation
- The copyrights (or intellectual property rights) for information carried on this site, such as text, illustrations, pictures, and images, all belong to the Japan Foundation unless otherwise stated.
- The information carried on this site cannot be reprinted or reproduced, wholly or in part, for any purpose other than private use.
- The information carried on this site can be quoted for mainly educational purposes, etc. and within the scope specified by law. In this case, please give a credit in the following way: for example, "Courtesy of the Japan Foundation" or "Source: Japan Foundation."
- However, in the case of pictures and images on this site relating to a specific person or organization, the consent of that person or organization must be obtained in order to protect their rights. For information on how to obtain such consent, etc., please contact performingarts[a]jpf.go.jp.
- Information carried on this site cannot be used for commercial purposes, such as advertising or selling a product.
2. Exemption of responsibility
- The utmost care is given to security on this site. However, this does not guarantee that the possibility of mistaken contents resulting from uncontrollable factors, such as falsification by a third party, is completely eliminated. The Japan Foundation does not bear responsibility for any damage to persons resulting from the use of this site or information on this site.
- In order to facilitate the convenience of people using this site, this site includes contents, links, and other information suggested by third parties and translations of these items carried out by the Japan Foundation for which the Japan Foundation does not have responsibility.
- The information and URL of this site may be changed or deleted without advance notification. The Japan Foundation does not bear responsibility for any damage resulting from said changes or deletions.
- While the utmost care is taken to ensure the accuracy of information carried on this site, the Japan Foundation does not bear any responsibility whatsoever for any actions taken by users after using this site.
- The company names, product names, logos, etc. carried on this site are registered trademarks of the organizations or sales entities concerned.
- Due to technical limitations of the electronic media, fonts, etc. might differ from those in printed publicity materials (for example, machine-dependent characters, personal names).
- Due to system disorder, maintenance, etc., the supply of information from this site might be temporarily suspended. The Japan Foundation does not bear responsibility for any damage resulting from said suspensions.
You do not need to request permission to create a text link from your Website to any of The Performing Arts Network Japan Websites.
If you think we would be interested in linking to your Website please give us a report performingarts[a]jpf.go.jp .
Users are permitted to copy some material for their personal use as private individuals only. Unless explicitly stated on the Webpage, users must not republish any part of the data either on another Website, or in any other medium, print, electronic or otherwise, or as part of any commercial service without the prior written permission of the Japan Foundation. If you require any further information on permitted use, or a license to republish any material, please contact [a]jpf.go.jp .